My Galactosemia Cook Book
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Choclate Filled Donuts
* electic mixer
* 1 1/2 cups of flour
* 1/4 cup of white sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon of salt
* 1 paket of yeast
* 2/3 of a cup of milk ( 120 degrees)
* 3 tablespoons of extra light tasting olive oil
* 2 egg yolks
* 11/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* A extra 1/4 cup of flour
1.Put your flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a bowl and beat them for 15 seconds.
2.Then add milk, oil, egg yolks, vanilla, and beat them all together for 2 minutes.
3.Next beat in your extra flour slowly. after knead your dough for 1 minute. put saran rap on it and let it sit for 15 minutes. put parchement paper on a baking sheet, then when your dough is done unwrap it and roll it out and use a cookie cutter, knife, or a cup and make circles.
4. Put the circles on the parcement paper and cover them with a cloth, and put the tray under a lamp for 45 minutes.
5. Put melted choclate in a icing bag or a baggie and set aside. when the dough is done preheat the oven to 375 F and put them in the oven for 10 minutes, when they are done baking melt 1 Tablespoon of butter and put it on the top and the sides of the donuts and dip them in your topping ( cinnimon and sugar) then poke a hole in the side of te donut and squeeze your choclate in.
By Lady May age 11
*12 ounces gemli, fusilli, or spagetti
*1 head of escarole, roughly chopped
*1 tablespoon pine nuts
*2 table spoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizziling
*2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
*Freshly ground pepper
*1/4 pound of pancetta, cut into thin strips
*2 cloves of garlic, pressed
*1 red jalapeno pepper, thinly slissed ( remove seeds for less heat... I diden't use them this time)
*2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just al dent, about 10 minutes. Add the escarole and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 more minutes.
Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper to taste; cook untilgolden, about 2 minutes. transfer the mixture to a plate. wipe out the skillet, add the pancetta and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and blot dry.
Add the remaning 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, then add the garlic and jalapeno and cook until fragant, about 1 minute. Drain the pasta and escarole, reserving 1 cup of cooking water, and add to the skillet. Add half of the pancetta and toss, drizzeling in enough pasta water to mostien. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the pasta among bowls, top with the breabcrumbs mixture, remaning pancetta and the parmesan. Drizzle with olive oil.
By MJ Age 10
Friday, February 28, 2014
Chocolate Haystacks-by Unnamed boy in my house:)
1) 4 cups of Brown sugar.
2) 1 cup of Coconut milk
3) 4 cups of lactose free margarine butter.
4) 8 cups of rolled oats
5 Two thirds of a cup of premium cocoa
1) Heat stove to medium.
2) Melt butter in pan.
3) Then add milk in pan.
4) Put brown sugar in pan.
5) Put cocoa in pan.
6) Stir together and bring to a boil and then boil for 1 minute.
7) Remove from heat and Add oats.
8) Stir with wooden spoon until oats are covered in chocolate.
9) Spoon out onto ungreased baking sheet into mounds. Allow to harden or eat warm!
* You can use any kind of milk for this recipe. Sometimes I add coconut to cookies. I normally cut this recipe in half when making these for a smaller group.
Saturday, December 7, 2013
Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Bread
-1 cup of almond butter
-1-2 TBS of cocoa powder
-1 cup of shredded zucchini
-2 large eggs
-1/4 cup of maple syrup
-1 TBS of vanilla extract
-1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
-1/2 tsp of baking soda
-1/4 tsp of sea salt
-2 TBS of mini chocolate chips
1. preheat oven to 350F.
2. in a medium bowl combine the almond butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, cocoa powder, and sea salt and stir with a wodden spoon.
3. add baking soda and vinegar (will fiz up) and fold into thne batter.
4. stir in shredded zucchini. if really watery , squeeze out axcess water.
5. place into a (parchment paper) lind or greased 3.5"x7.5"loaf pan.
6. top with 1-2 TBS of mini chocolate chips. i leaned more towards the 2 TBS.
7. bake for 23-28 minutes if you have a mini loaf pan and 35-50 minutes for a large loaf pan. start testing with a toothpic at 35 minutes and when it come out clean when inserted in the center, it is done.
(I baked mine for 40minutes)
8. allow to cool on a cooling rack and serve!
Above is the link where I found the recipe to this super yummy bread.
IT IS SUPER YUMMY!
uploaded by Maley age 9
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Corn and Black Bean Salad
Corn and Black Bean Salad
1. 1 can of black beans
2. 1 avocado chopped
3. 1 red pepper chopped
4. 1 small can of corn
5. bunch of cilantro
6. 1/4 red onion finely chopped
7. 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
8. 3 Tbsp. lime juice ( I squeezed a whole lime in this dish)
9. 1 tsp cumin
10. 1 tsp dijon mustard
11. 1 clove of garlic, pressed
salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients together in a serving dish and chill for an hour.
Serve over tortilla chips, lettuce, fish, chicken or as is.
At our most recent visit in November 2012 to Sick Kids here in Toronto there have been changes to the galactosemia diet.
Our dietician said that Sick Kids is now allowing beans and lentils, in moderation. I look forward to the literature on these new findings because these foods have been previously categorized as unsafe.
Monday, January 7, 2013
Homemade Granola..super delish!
* 2 cups rolled oats
*1/2 cup pecans or almonds (ground)
*1/2 cup sunflower seeds
*1/2 cup sesame seeds
*1/2 cup coconut
*1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
*1/4 cup oil (canola or extra virgin)
*1/4 cup honey
1. Heat both oils together in the microwave or on the stove over medium heat. Bring to a boil for a minute and then remove.
2. Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl..
3. Serve with fruit or just milk or yogurt ...enjoy!
4. Store in the fridge.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
* Brocoli (1-2 heads) cut off stems, use flower only
* 1 red pepper (though I used orange here)
* 8 slices of bacon or proscuitto
* 1 cup of unsalted sunflower seeds
* 1/2 cup mayonaise
* 2 Tblsp. sugar (brown or white)
* 4 Tblsp. vinegar (or apple cider)
1. Fry up proscuitto/bacon and set aside.
2. Wash and cut brocoli and red pepper and place in bowl you are serving salad in.
3. Add sunflower seeds.
4. Tear bacon into small pieces and add to salad bowl.
5. Mix dressing and pour onto salad....
toss and serve!
Feeds the 7 of us:)
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)